Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First Brenda Aloff Appointment

Eden met Brenda Aloff for the first time tonight. She is a trainer/behaviorist that I've been going to for quite some time now and someone I also consider a good friend. I don't know what I would've done without her in the last couple of years.

She thought that Eden was very sweet and attentive and also very, very cute :-) Which, she undoubtedly is. I was just looking for a basic evaluation of Eden's temperament and some things to work on that would also increase our bond.


  • Restrained Down: Getting her excited by running around with me and then turning and quickly asking for a down while guiding her to same with collar. This ties a form of compulsion with positive reinforcement. If she does not down on the verbal, I help her into position. She's fairly soft so I barely have to even touch my hand to her collar to have her dropping...on the rare occasion that she doesn't do it on the verbal.
  • Testing Commitment of Placement: In either the sit or down position, putting food in her vision and not rewarding unless she is very committed to her position, aka does not move, and ideally, offers eye contact. This she struggles at a little more. She gets wiggly and barky.
  • Long Down/Sit: Staying in position while other distractions are happening such as me moving, others moving, me going out of sight etc. Another version of testing her commitment. 
  • Impulse Control: I'd like to toy around some more with Eden's impulse control and also leave it command since she has a fairly solid grasp on those already.

No comments:

Post a Comment